PARENT TIPS FOR BULLYING FROM NATIONAL CRIME PREVENTION
Parents can play a central role in preventing bullying and stopping it when it happens. Here are a few things you can do.
· Teach kids to solve problems without using violence and praise them when they do.
· Give children positive feedback when they behave well to help them build self-esteem, and help give them the self-confidence to stand up for what they believe in.
· Ask your children about their day and listen to them talk about school, social events, their classmates, and any problems they have.
· Take bullying seriously. Many kids are embarrassed to say they have been bullied. You may only have one chance to step in and help.
· If you see any bullying, stop it right away, even if your child is the one doing the bullying.
· Encourage your child to help others who need it.
· Don’t bully your children or bully others in front of them. Many times kids who are bullied at home react by bullying other kids. If your children see you hit, ridicule, or gossip about someone else, they are also more likely to do so themselves.
· Support bully prevention programs in your child’s school. If your school doesn’t have one, consider starting one with other parents, teachers, and concerned adults.
Premier Martial Arts has a national recognized Anti-Bullying program called Bully Proof that we teach to every one of our students. Physical answers to bullying are NOT recommended. At Premier Martial Arts, we Bully Proof our students with the proper education, common sense solutions, and by building their confidence and self-esteem through training in martial arts. However, our students will know how to handle physical altercations if the situation arises.